While common irritants including food allergens and insect bites might contribute to reddened, itchy skin, it’s important to identify a serious skin rash to determine whether to seek emergency care. While other symptoms clearly indicate the presence of serious illness, a severe skin rash is sufficient cause for concern.
Life-threatening illnesses associated with a serious skin rash include:
- Toxic shock syndrome.
- Adverse reaction to certain medications.
- Pemphigus vulgaris (PV), a disease in which the immune system attacks the body’s own proteins.
- Bacterial infections, including meningitis.
Often a serious skin rash comes with other symptoms. The following signs indicate that a rash needs immediate medical attention:
- Fever and/or pain. In conjunction with a skin rash, these symptoms often occur during an allergic reaction or infection.
- Continued bruising. Rashes experienced with bruises that spread across the skin might indicate a problem with blood clotting.
- Worsened rash. Even after applying proper ointments, the rash may intensify. Oozing of the skin, including green or yellowish discharge and unpleasant odors, may point to a severe infection.
- Spreading of rash after beginning a new medication.Should you experience severe skin irritation within 2 weeks of trying a new medication, you may have a drug allergy that requires a doctor’s care.
- Blistering and purple spots. These more painful features of a skin rash might suggest a serious bacterial infection that requires hospitalization.
If you suffer from the listed symptoms, do not hesitate to seek qualified medical care. It’s advisable to track the progression of your skin rash by taking photos to show to your physician. At Uptown Emergency Room, our experienced staff quickly addresses serious skin rashes and associated complications. If you are located within the Dallas area, call us today.